Marine Aquarium Day 53 (19th Nov'07) :
Something's wrong with my aquarium. Fish are dying without reason. I have already lost three clowns in the past 3 days . All were healthy enough and were feeding fine . Even the test readings seem fine :
1.pH : 8.4 (Stable)
2.Nitrite : 0.00 ppm (Stable)
3.Nitrate : 80 mg/L (reason to worry,will ask sirreal .)
4. Ammonia : 0.00 (Stable)
Marine Aquarium Day 40 (6th Nov'07) :
After being with me for about a month , the Star fish died yesterday. Do not know what caused it as it was eating well untill a few days back. It suddenly stopped eating and laid on the gravel. I picked it up and some some gashes / cut marks in it's underbelly. The next few days saw it deteriorating rapidly. The cut marks kept on increasing untill finally it's body was torn apart and it died. The Pakistani butterfly fish and the cow fish also are now dead. Probably something is wrong in the water conditions.
Marine Aquarium Day 23 (20th Oct'07) :
Here are the test levels :
1.Specific Gravity : 1.025 (First time found it to be stable)
2.Salinity : 35 ppt (First time found it to be stable)
3.pH : 8.4 (Stable)
4.Nitrite : 0.25 ppm (reason to worry, although might be because I have added fish to the setup recently.)
6.Nitrate : 15 mg/L (reason to worry,will aask sirreal if it's ok or not.)
Marine Aquarium Day 19 (16th Oct'07) :
Here are the test levels :
1.Specific Gravity : 1.030 (Still Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
2.Salinity : 40 ppt (Still Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
3.pH : 8.2 (Stable)
4.Ammonia : 0.00 ppm (Nice)
5.Nitrite : 0.25 ppm (reason to worry, although might be because I have added fish to the setup recently.)
6.Nitrate : 0.00 mg/L (reason to worry,but probably it's so less that test is not registering it, becuase 0 is not possible.)
Marine Aquarium Day 14 (10th Oct'07) :
Here are the test levels :
1.Specific Gravity : 1.030 (Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
2.Salinity : 40 ppt (Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
3.pH : 8.4 (Stable)
4.Ammonia : 0.00 ppm (Nice)
5.Nitrite : 0.00 ppm (Stable)
6.Nitrate : 0.00 mg/L (Stable,probably so less that test is not registering it, becuase0 is not
possible.)
Marine Aquarium Day 10 (6th Oct'07) :
Tested today for Ammonia and Nitrate :
1. Ammonia : b/t 0.00 and 0.25 ppm mg/l (Good going)
2. Nitrate : 0.00 ppm mg/l (Hope to see this increasing soon)
Marine Aquarium Day 6 (2nd Oct'07) :
Tested today for Ammonia and Nitrite :
1. Ammonia : 0.50 ppm (Expected)
2. Nitrite : 0.25 ppm (Nice to see this increasing)
Marine Aquarium Day 4 (30th Sep'07) :
Here are the test levels :
1.Specific Gravity : 1.030 (Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
2.Salinity : 40 ppt (Weird, I think hydrometer not working properly)
3.pH : 8.2 (Stable)
4.Ammonia : 0.50 ppm (Pretty High,but expected)
5.Nitrite : 0.0 ppm (Stable)
6.Nitrate : 0.0 mg/L (Stable)
Questions I asked in aquahobby.com forum :
1. I am currently using a 2000 GPH power head with the protein skimmer. Is that OK? Also, the power head has got two outlets, one is connected to the skimmer and the other outlet is throwing air back to the tank creating a high flow in the middle of the tank, will that affect?
First off it is most likely a 2000 lph not gph, the conversion would be about 530 gph. From the pic it looks like it is not getting much air, check the fittings and connections and air inlet for blockage. The skimmer body should be white from all of the small bubbles in it. The more air the better the skimming up to a point. You definitely need more air based on the pic and that pump should give it. Hang on back skimmers will release some bubbles to the main tank, this is normal and won't hurt anything but is less visually appealing. Microbubbles are almost the norm in salt and are the norm with hang on skimmers. The only way around that is a sump and a better skimmer.
2.What do I do with the cannister filter? Will using it bring any harm to the aquarium, I'll definitely be regularly cleaning it, so that's not an issue.
It won't do any harm but keep it cleaned weekly which also about how long regular carbon is good for. The issue with cannister's is they are highly efficient at providing a home for nitrifying bacteria, this is why we keep them clean, the cleaning in tap water kills the bacteria. Cannisters are better suited for freshwater but can be used for salt if cleaned weekly, (what I found works best)
3.The skimmer has been running for more than 24 hrs now and currently the water level is below the collection cup, and although water turbulence is there, there has been no foam or anything else yet.
The skimmer will work but it may take a week or two before it breaks in. The plastic is coated with an oily material at the factory and it takes time for this oily material to dissipate. It could take a few weeks before the skimmer is broken in. Be patient with it for a few weeks. You also want the water level a few inches below the top of the cone, 3: would be a good choice as it breaks in the foam level will rise.
4.I see some fine ,thin hair like structures coming out of my live rocks? What are these? Should I remove them?
The fine hairs are a type of worm, no need to worry. Your rock will be full of many surprises...sit back and enjoy them.
(Thanks to sirreal63 from aquahobby.com forums for answering these.)
5.For water changes, I have a separate container which has water and salt mixture in it along with a air stone. But I have no skimmer/filters in this container. Will it be OK to just use this water for replacing 30% in the main tank?
There is no need to skim your replacement water, just make sure you have a heater in it to even out the temps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment