Sunday, October 14, 2007

Got my Tank running!!!!




So in the early third week of my marine tank set-up, I have succumbed to pressure and got the fishes in. I started on the 12th Oct by bringing in a Star fish, a hermit Crab and an anemone (bad decision!!!) . On the second day, I went back to the shop and got myself 4 small clown fishes, another bigger anemone and one more coral which has fluffy feather like tentacles, i do not know it's name.

However, I feel the problem has just started . I see the water has become a little cloudy today and also, there is no movement in the fluffy anemone or whatever it is. Even it's colour has changed from green to brown and it has shrunk to almost half it's original size.Besides I can't figure out which side is it up and which side is down. Also how do I feed it ? My star fish always has one of its tentacles out of the water and I have no idea if it's a good thing or not?

16th Oct'07 :

My fears where correct .The unidentified bigger anemone/coral is now dead and promptly flushed .

sirreal63 replied as on Aquahobby.com forum:

Way too soon and poor choices for livestock. My suggestion would be to scoop us whatever is left of the anemone's and the starfish and take them back to the irresponsible place that sold them to you. Your tank is not ready for either of them.

Start with a couple small fish like clowns, they are hardier and will allow you to build up the biological filtration slowly. I would highly suggest a 30% water change and not put anything else in the tank for a week. Test the water parameters before you add anything. If your nitrates are not measurable and you still can measure ammonia or nitrites you are not ready to add fish. When you are ready to add fish...think small and only a few until the system catches up with the added bioload.

Be patient.

No comments: